Contact Wound Care
2716 W Gore Blvd, Suite C
Lawton, OK 73505
Two mild winters and drought conditions are bringing spiders indoors and out of hiding to find moisture. But this can be more than annoying. The hemotoxic venom of the brown recluse can be potentially deadly, especially to those at risk.
If you are bitten by a brown recluse, the professionals at the CCMH Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine can help. Our doctors and staff are capable of administering treatment early to prevent serious bite reactions, or can assist with advanced treatments such as hyperbaric medicine for serious reactions.
About the Brown Recluse Spider
The brown recluse spider (fiddleback) has potentially deadly hemotoxic venom. A bite may lead to significant reactions that require advanced medical treatment.
Bite Reaction may consist only of a very local and temporary skin irritation. If the bite is serious, the bite itself may not be felt but within 1 to several hours the bitten area becomes painful and swollen, with blisters sometimes forming.
Treatment of a Spider Bite
- Apply ice to decrease pain and swelling
- Elevate area if possible above the level of your heart
- Wash the area thoroughly with cool water and mild soap
- Avoid any strenuous activity (this can spread the venom)
- Use acetaminophen for pain relief
- Don’t wait, call the Center for Wound Care to make an appointment
580.357.3280 – Referrals are Not Required