Build Up Your Need For Sleep
- Avoid Naps – if you must nap, limit it to 10-25 minutes and only after you have been awake for at least 8 hours.
- Don’t Over Sleep – too much time in bed can make it harder to sleep the next night.
- Exercise – go for an exercise that makes you sweat. Do it for at least 30-40 minutes, do it at least 6 hours before bedtime.
- Heat Up Before Bed – try a hot bath or hot drink (no caffeine) within 2 hours before bedtime.
Time & Light
- Get Out of Bed – same time every day.
- Get Early Light – sunshine or very bright light within 30 minutes after getting out of bed.
- Keep It Dark at Night – avoid bright light if you have to get up at night.
Tobacco, Alcohol, Caffeine
- Don’t smoke at all, if possible.
- Don’t smoke after 7:00 pm.
- Don’t smoke at night.
- Avoid caffeine completely for 1 month, if possible.
- Limit caffeine to 3 doses or less before 10:00 am.
- Keep alcohol use light – alcohol breaks up the second half of your sleep cycle.
Avoid Arousing Stuff
- Keep your clock turned away from your bed.
- Avoid strenuous exercise 6 hours before bedtime.
- Keep food and drink very light for 3 hours before bed.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet and just the right temperature.
- Eyeshades and earplugs are OK to use.
- Get a bed and pillow just right for you.
- Bed is for sleep or sex only – No working in bed!
- Create a bedtime ritual.
- Learn some relaxation techniques.
- Make to-do lists, then set the list aside for morning.
- Let worry go.
- Forgive yourself and others.