How do I find a family doctor?
If you are looking for a family doctor, try talking to your friends and family. You can also use the “Find a Provider” tool to find a family doctor near you. Once you have the names of a few doctors, call their offices to get more information. Some things that you should ask include:
- Do they accept your insurance?
- What are the office hours?
- What hospital does the doctor use?
- How many doctors are in the practice?
Once you find a doctor who meets your needs, schedule an appointment so you can meet and talk to the doctor.
During the appointment, make sure:
- You’re comfortable talking to the doctor
- The doctor answers all your questions
- The doctor explains things so you can understand
- You had enough time to ask all your questions
What if I need more specialized care?
Referrals to specialists often are made by a primary care physician. If you need to see a specialist, discuss your concerns with your primary care physician and feel free to ask for more than one name if you wish to get a second opinion.
Do I need a referral in order to see a specialist?
In some cases, patients may make their own appointment with a specialist. You will need to verify with your insurance plan whether you are eligible to self-refer. You can also contact the specialist to make sure he or she accepts self-referrals.
What’s the easiest way to find a physician?
Click here or call 580-585-5409 or 800-588-0104